Skip to main content

Cycling to Dommasandra - 25km circuit


The following blog post not only inspired me to go for more cycling trips and write regularly because of some valuable, loving comments from friends, it also motivated many of my friends to try it out.

https://rkinsideout.blogspot.in/2017/10/the-one-where-raj-went-for-cyclingfirst.html

I and my close friend Padma whom I have known from my school days decided to go for cycling. The following week was a Diwali week and most of our friends' had already started leaving to hometowns. We decided to do it anyway. I chose a circuit behind Kadubeesanahalli, Sarjapur as I knew it would be pleasant and also have seen people cycling in these places.
The Circuit
It was a pleasant ride as it was cloudy was most of the time. From Panathur to Sarjapur road, there were more vehicles on the road, but after Carmelaram, there were fewer people on the road. The road condition also was good till Dommasandra with few patches here and there. Since the road was good, the bigger vehicles were speeding. We had to make sure we stayed to left and had an eye on the vehicles coming from behind.

We had a light breakfast slightly before Dommasandra at Krishna Sagar and started off again and decided to take rest near Gunjur lake hoping to have a good view and some fresh air. The road from Dommasandra to Gunjur lake was a single lane road but was a pleasant place to ride. Most of the International schools were on this road. The Gunjur lake was not that great as it was fully covered with fencing. We took a bit of a rest there and headed back home via Gunjur-Palya road. We saw few cyclists riding on our way back. We were following few of them and failed to take a right from Gundur-Doddakannelli road to Gunjur-Palya road. We were good 4-5kms on our way before realizing we missed a turn. But the good news was that the road we were on was still headed near Carmelaram and we can reach home from there. 

By the time we reached Carmelaram(familiar grounds), Padma was a bit tired but was not willing to stop or take rest. We were near Boganahalli road and were about going to complete the circuit. I saw the tracker and it showed 23kms. I told Padma that we will take Boganahalli road to make the circuit 25kms. She was willing to do it despite the fact that she was tired. She did show some grit to prove a point to no one but just to herself and went ahead and completed the circuit successfully. We had some fresh juice after the workout and headed back home. 


PS: I had done a 50km already just to make sure what I am capable of. But this experience with Padma showed me no matter how hard it is, what matters was not giving up. Every adventure helps you learn something and this one didn't disappoint either. Thanks Padma for being an awesome co-rider. Looking forward to do a lot more cycling and have a lot more fun with you. Until then, Babye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The one where Raj went for Cycling (First time Experience - 50km circuit)

The Past: I met a friend Srini in violin class and got to know that he goes for cycling with a bunch of explorers once in a month. I was excited and told him I had a cycle but haven't done cycling and would love to try. So he told me he will inform when they go for a ride. The Present:  Srini texts me that they were planning a morning ride of approx 50-60km circuit. Even though I was excited, I was a bit nervous if I could push myself for that far. I did think of it for a while and I was like "If not now, then when??? ". I said yes. It was a Sunday morning that we started off. The weather in Bangalore was a big threat as it was raining pretty consistently for the past fortnight. We trusted few weather reports which stated that there is not going to be any rain in the morning and there might be slight rain in the afternoon. Srini started from HSR, two of friends joined in Bellandur, I joined in Kadubeesanahalli junction and two more joined in ISRO junction. The r

Implementing a file monitoring script using python.

The idea is to implement a method where a user will be able to modify an xml file and the modifications will trigger a certain action in the script. This has to be implemented in python. WatchDogs is a python library that helps in file system monitoring. API reference : https://pythonhosted.org/watchdog/quickstart.html#quickstart Useful link :  http://brunorocha.org/python/watching-a-directory-for-file-changes-with-python.html The example scripts provided in the above links give a good headstart to play around with the file system and figure what is the exact use case that you want to achieve. Current use case:  The python script that I run is bundled as a container. There are mounted volumes in the container. So using an external script I am planning to modify the xml file and since the same file is modified inside the container, the python thread that is listening to the file modification event will trigger an action like sending a mail, make an entry to the log file.

Good programming practices

Over the past few days, I have been pondering over the fact that despite having a good hold on OOPs concepts and apply them while writing code to solve a particular use case, I am still not writing good code. I have been coding for almost 6 years now. 2+ years of professional coding. When I was in college, I was a wild programmer solving programming contests, DS problems. What I mean is that I only coded to solve the problem, did a lot of dirty coding. I never bothered if the code can be reused, if someone else or I myself can understand it if I looked at it after a few days. I did have a good habit of writing comments.  When I joined work, I learned many different aspects of how the code was written. Many facts were taken into consideration like code maintenance, reusability, testing etc. I still remember a co-worker who told me if you need to write 10 lines of beautiful code, you should have seen 1000s of lines of amazing code. Due to the pressure of getting things done,